Glider workout equipment has been designed to give the body an efficient, yet safe, workout. This versatile range of exercise equipment is suitable for both home and commercial use.
Keeping fit is one of the nation's top aspirations. While fitness is something we all want, it is surprisingly difficult to achieve without the help of special workout equipment. This equipment ranges from small weights to complex machines. Some workout machines are designed for home as well as commercial use. Many models of equipment that are designed for home use are easy to use and affordable, making them a great option for people looking to workout in their home. A popular type of workout equipment for the home is the glider which is a form of elliptical machine.
What is Glider Workout Equipment?
Glider exercise equipment is designed to give the body a full workout. It combines cardiovascular work, which helps to strengthen the heart and the lungs while also burning calories, with building muscle strength. This all round workout helps people of all ages and fitness levels.
A glider is powered by movement of the arms and legs, however the gliding action is smooth and this stops leg and arm joints from being strained. Glider workout equipment is regarded as offering low impact exercise. Low impact exercise is important for people of all ages, but in particular it is important for older people. As people age, exercise can cause problems with joints and can exacerbate conditions such as arthritis.
Muscle Groups Worked
A glider workout will work the following muscle groups:
- Hips - Working on the hips is important for keeping hip joints flexible. Exercising hips is particularly important for older people.
- Front and back of thighs - This area gives strength to legs and are important groups of muscles. In addition to building strength, exercising this area also helps to give definition to legs.
- Calves - Working out the calves help to build strength.
- Lower leg and shin - Exercising lower leg helps to build strength and give definition.
- Shoulder - Exercise the shoulders for strength and flexibility. Low impact exercise helps to avoid long term muscle or joint damage.
- Front and back of upper arm (bicep and tricep) - Exercising the upper arm helps to get rid of 'bingo wings' and add tone to arms.
- Chest - Working on this area is essential for total body strength as well as helping to avoid sagging muscles.
- Back - Exercising the back helps to strengthen the body while also giving good stature. Many people suffer from bad backs and building good body strength using low impact methods will help to avoid back problems.
- Stomach - The stomach is one area that many people want to work on. Exercising the obliques will help to give a flat stomach.
Using Glider Equipment
Many gliders are simple to use and exercise routines can be undertaken at home with the minimum of training. Glider exercise machines often are supplied with a detailed user manual or DVD, explaining how to use the equipment. This is useful and can help the user to build up an exercise program. Although glider equipment is designed to give a safe and low impact workout, people with existing problems or who are new to exercise should consult a trained professional before using unfamiliar pieces of exercise equipment whether at home or in an exercise studio.
Tips for Buying an Exercise Glider
There are many different types of exercise glider available. Here are some tips to help you make the right purchase:
- Location - Deciding where the glider is to be sited is an important part of the decision process. This will help to determine the best size and weight of machine. If the glider is not to be permanently sited in a room and moved around as required, a lighter and more portable machine may be necessary.
- Ease of getting on and off - Some glider machines can be relatively difficult to get on and off. This is particularly the case for people new to exercise equipment or older people. Try the equipment in the store first and see how it feels before committing to buy.
- Range of workouts - Sometimes cheaper machines have less workout options. This isn't necessarily a problem, however if you have special requirements then buying a cheaper machine that doesn't do what you require may end up as a false economy.
Glider workout equipment can be an important way to keep fit and build body strength.