How can you battle those annoying fatty bulges around your bra strap or tank top? What do you do if your spare tire is stored in your lower back instead of your belly? Like that stubborn belly fat, body fat doesn't necessarily respond to just one targeted exercise but requires a combination of aerobic and anaerobic workouts to achieve the best results.
Shape and Trim with Cardio Exercise
The muscles in your back are designed to help you lift, pull, sit and stand up straight. Toned back muscles give your back a sculpted look. When you keep these muscles in shape, you're less likely to be plagued with back problems. A strong aerobic workout helps you burn away all excess body fat including back fat. Aerobic exercise offers additional benefits including:
- Helps lower high blood pressure
- Helps control blood sugar
- Helps relieve chronic muscle pain
- Can help you lose weight
- Activates your immune system
- Increases concentration of good cholesterol and decreases bad cholesterol
- Strengthens your heart
- Helps fight depression
Aerobic exercises can help trim body fat, but erasing fat deposits along your back, requires toning and strengthening your back muscles. To maximize your workout benefits, add weight-resistance training to your aerobic regimen. Specialized exercises focusing on the upper and lower back can give you a better appearance and improve your posture.
Exercises: Reduce Upper Back Fat
You might be able to hide that unsightly bulge around the band of your bra, but better yet, consider some back exercises to get rid of it. After all, who wants to dress in a shirt that looks like a tent? To target that fat around your bra and tone your upper back, do the following exercises. Perform two sets of 10-12 repetitions. Schedule a rest day between workouts.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Keep the back straight.
- Your knees should be bent slightly.
- Pull your stomach in.
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand but keep fingers relaxed.
- Bend 90 degrees from the waist while keeping back straight.
- Your arms should hang toward the floor with palms facing your legs.
- Squeeze shoulder blades together.
- Bend elbows.
- Raise the dumbbells to your sides.
- Hold this position.
- In a controlled movement, lower to the starting position.
Rear Delt Fly
- Sit on the edge of a chair or bench.
- Hold light weights in each hand behind each leg.
- Lean forward from the hips.
- Keep your back flat.
- Tuck your chin to the chest.
- Raise your arms to the sides.
- Slowly bend elbows as you lift.
- Squeeze the shoulder blades together.
- Hold at the top of the extension.
- Gradually lower your arms to starting position.
Exercises: Reduce Lower Back Fat
Opposite Arm/Leg Lifts
- Lie flat on your stomach with arms extended over your head.
- Keep legs straight.
- Your forehead should rest on the floor or you can turn your head to one side.
- Slowly raise right arm and left leg at the same time.
- Keep the pelvis and chest flat on the floor.
- Lower and repeat with the opposite arm and leg.
Note: If you feel pain with this or any exercise, stop immediately.
Back Extension Using Exercise Ball
- Lie with your abdomen on the exercise ball.
- Keep upper body and neck parallel to floor.
- Place your hands behind your head.
- Rest the feet at wider than a shoulder-width apart on floor behind you.
- Slowly raise upper body until chest level is several inches above the ball.
- Hold this position for 3 seconds.
- Return to starting position and repeat.
Other Strength Training Exercises to Help Burn Back Fat
Strength training works the major muscles in your back, which in turn will help burn back fat. Incorporating any of the following exercises along with those described above can help you gain a svelte rear view.
- Pulldowns (Wide-grip, closed-grip and curl-grip)
- Seated cable rows
- Seated machine rows
- Straight-arm pullovers
- Barbell, dumbbell and machine shrugs
- Upright rows
- Straight bar pulldowns
- Bent-over lateral raises
- Cable rear lateral raises
Shaping Your Body, Your Way
Target those unattractive bulges around your bra strap and waistband with area-specific exercises and aerobic workouts. The best part of burning away back fat is improving how you feel about yourself when you try on clothes, look in the mirror or push to achieve the next level in your exercise regimen.