A band resistance lower body workout is convenient, versatile and effective. The affordability of the bands makes it economical to purchases a full set, thereby providing the ability to perform a progressive resistance-training program.
Resistance Band Workout: Lower Body
Resistance band training works on the same principles as any other strength training workout. Exercises that work the larger muscle groups should be performed prior to exercises that isolate the smaller muscle groups. The following workout begins with a resistance band cardio sequence and ends with a hamstring exercise series.
Resistance Band Cardio Sequence
The following sequence is used by athletic coaches.
- Wrap a heavy resistance tube around your waist and secure it to a stable object.
- Step away from the attachment point, until the band has no slack. Continue for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Keep an upright postural alignment as you jog in place, against the resistance of the tube.
- Turn so that your back is against the tube. Jog backwards for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Turn so that your right hip is against the tubing. Jump to the right and then back to center. Perform 10 jumps and then switch side.
- Step away from the tubing and place an ankle band around your ankles.
- Take a big step to the right with your right leg.
- Bring your left leg in to meet your right. Simultaneously perform a squat.
- Do eight steps to the right and eight steps to the left.
- Repeat the entire sequence four times.
Hamstring Curl Resistance Band Sequence
- Lie prone on a stability ball or weight bench and attach an ankle band to your ankles.
- Lift your right leg from the floor. Keep your pelvis pressed into the bench or ball.
- Keep your leg lifted as you bend your right knee.
- Straighten you right leg.
- Return the leg to the floor.
- Perform 12 repetitions. Keep the leg lifted on the last one.
- Keep your knee in a stable position. Contract your hamstring and bend your leg. Slowly straighten it.
Studies on Lower Body Resistance Training
A number of studies have used electromyographic or EMG analysis to compare the efficiency of resistance bands with the efficiency of a weight training workout. Each mode of training has its advantages and disadvantages, but resistance band training has some distinct benefits. The bands allow movement in various planes of motion. They also give resistance in the eccentric or return phase of an exercise. Eccentric training plays a crucial role in preventing injuries.
Compared to traditional exercise machines, a band resistance lower body lower body workout may provide a more efficient way to work the hamstrings. This is extremely important for women, whose weaker hamstrings sometimes lead to a muscular imbalance, which can cause serious injuries. Some traditional leg curl machines were designed for men, who have longer legs than women. As a result, women need to use a lighter weight, which contributes to the muscular imbalance. A resistance band lower body workout may help correct the problem.
Stay in Shape with Resistance Bands
A band resistance lower body workout can be performed at home or even on vacation. It's the perfect way to stay in shape.