Can Tae Bo help you lose weight? Sometimes your workout needs a little shake up, and Tae Bo is a fun and affordable way to incorporate new exercises. Will weight loss result? The answer to that question depends largely on you.
Benefits of a Tae Bo Workout
Tae Bo has been around for several years now. Created by martial artist-turned-fitness trainer Billy Blanks, Tae Bo is a combination of kick-boxing martial art style moves and aerobics. The workouts, which are available on videos for people at all levels of fitness, combine strength moves and cardiovascular training in a fun, high-intensity workout.
There are a number of benefits of Tae Bo, including:
- When done to a high intensity, Tae Bo burns a lot of calories. A 150-pound person doing 60 minutes of high-intensity Tae Bo will burn approximately 690 calories.
- Tae Bo is, by its nature, an interval training workout. It also combines both cardiovascular fitness and strength training. This type of workout has proven to be very effective in weight loss.
- Tae Bo helps to increase strength, muscle mass, flexibility and cardiovascular fitness.
- The videos are quite affordable and minimal equipment is required.
- There are several different Tae Bo workout DVDs and programs to choose from.
- The DVD workouts are easy to follow and take you step-by-step through new moves.
- You can do Tae Bo workouts at home.
Weight Loss Is Possible
Tae Bo is generally an excellent way to lose weight. Along with covering four of the five components of fitness, this form of exercise hits all of the ways that your body loses weight with exercise. Not only do you burn a lot of calories during the workout, but your metabolism will stay raised for a few hours post-workout. Your muscle mass will also increase with Tae Bo workouts, raising your overall metabolism over time.
There are a few caveats to all of this, however.
- In order for the Tae Bo workout to be an effective part of your weight loss regimen, the intensity of the workout is extremely important. When doing Tae Bo, it is important that you work at the highest level of intensity of which you are capable in order to maximize your weight loss benefits.
- Like any weight loss program, exercise alone isn't enough. You also need to combine your Tae Bo workouts with a program of healthy eating. Select a diet plan that will work for you.
- Not only is the intensity of your workouts important, but frequency and duration are, as well. Plan a 30 to 60 minute workout about three to four times a week.
- Adequate rest is also important. Allow yourself one to two days a week of some other type of low intensity exercise such as walking in place of Tae Bo, and schedule adequate rest, as well.
- If you are new to working out, work your way up to high intensity workouts slowly in order to minimize the chance of injury or overtraining.
Make the Most of Your Workouts
Can Tae Bo help you lose weight? The answer is a qualified yes, provided you do the workouts at an intensity, frequency and duration consistent with weight loss.