Wearing weighted workout gloves is a sure-fire way to kick up a boring cardio workout. The added weight resistance can increase the intensity of your exercise routines and help you burn more calories in less time. Whether you wear them while you cross-train or kickbox the weighted gloves will get you lean, toned arms in no time.
About Weighted Workout Gloves
Although you may picture the enhanced workout gloves to be similar to large boxing gloves, they are a totally different product. Weighted workout hand covers are fairly thin gloves that pull on over your hands and strap around your wrist area. Small weights, often between one and two pounds each, are in the gloves.
The gloves leave your fingers free, allowing you to manipulate your hands. Some gloves allow you to adjust the weight amount, while others have the weights sewn into the gloves. Common weight amounts are between one and six pounds, with the weight distributed evenly between your two hands.
Features to look for in gloves include:
- Lightweight fabric
- Removable weights
- Strong construction
- Adjustable sizing
Uses for Weighted Exercise Gloves
Weighted workout gloves are not meant to be used in actual boxing, with a punching bag or in any type of contact sport. Instead, they are meant to increase the level of difficulty during cardio activities. Use weighted gloves when doing the following:
- Step aerobics
- Dance aerobics
- Shadow boxing (non-contact)
- Kickboxing (during training exercises)
Gloves are often handier than carrying two pound weights during lunges or other toning exercises, allowing you to keep your balance more easily. You also will not worry about sweaty palms holding onto slippery weights.
Popular exercise expert Chalene Johnson has added a set of sculpting gloves to her Turbo Jam series. The gloves are meant to be used with the Punch, Kick & Jam 50-minute workout video. They can also be worn when doing many of the other Turbo Jam DVDs. If you order the entire Turbo Jam Maximum Results package, the gloves are included; otherwise, you can purchase them separately.
Types of Weighted Workout Gloves
You can buy weighted workout gloves from a number of retailers. If you have unusually small or large hands, it may be prudent to try several pairs on before you buy, at a sporting goods retailer or specialty store. Otherwise, consider trying some of the following gloves:
- J Fit 20-7800 Weighted Cardio Workout Gloves: The comfortable neoprene gloves weigh one-pound each and are ideal tools to increase the intensity of a cardio class.
- Everlast Weighted Glove: A cross-training glove with open palms that are weighted to one pound in each hand; they are made with Neoprene lining to keep hands cool.
- Fitness by Cathe Weighted Gloves: These stylish gloves come with adjustable weight packets that hold up to one-pound maximum in each glove. They are great to use to shape and tone arms while walking, running or kickboxing.
- Blue Source Fitness Heavy Duty Weight Sculpting Gloves: The colorful weighted gloves are made from comfort-fitting neoprene and sport an easy-grip closure for a secure fit. Each glove weighs one-pound.
In addition, Fitness First offers several varieties of weighted gloves. From a Neoprene set to a set with Lycra to flexmetal, the gloves all offer different features. Pick out the one that suits your needs best.
Toning, Not Strengthening
Weighted workout gloves are most frequently used for toning moves and cardio. Strength training, such as bodyweight exercises or weightlifting, still needs to be done if you want to increase muscle mass. Gloves will help increase endurance and tone your body, but will not make your muscles larger or bulkier. If that is your goal, speak to a fitness expert on starting a strength training program.